Is Your Chimney Leaking?
One of the scariest things you can encounter as a homeowner is a chimney leak – because by the time you’re aware of it, the damage is probably pretty extensive. Do you know what signs to look for?
Telltale Signs Of A Water Problem
Some of the most telltale signs of a chimney leak include these:
- Puddles in your firebox
- Rust streaks down the sides of your chimney or home
- Dripping sounds
- Water damage on the walls or ceiling surrounding your chimney
Of course, it’s best to identify leaks before you see these signs. Scheduling an annual inspection with a professional chimney sweep can help you identify system issues early on and safeguard you against costly repairs.
Common Leak Sources
Water can access your chimney in a number of ways, but here are some of the most common areas:
- Damaged or Missing Chimney Cap – The chimney cap is designed to prevent water and other outside intruders from accessing your chimney flue. If the cap blows off during a strong storm or is improperly fitted to your flue, a leak is inevitable.
- Deteriorating Masonry – Deteriorating masonry is particularly porous and can wick water into your chimney system during a hard rain. If your masonry is cracking and crumbling, there’s a good chance you’ll see water in your chimney system at some point.
- Deteriorating/Poorly Designed Crown or Chase Cover – Your chimney’s crown or chase cover is designed to cover the chimney opening and prevent leaks. Unfortunately, crowns and chase covers can be damaged or improperly designed/installed, leaving your chimney system vulnerable to water intrusion.
- Faulty Flashing – Flashing is the protective metal layering at the base of your chimney. This system works to protect the vulnerable area where the chimney and roof meet – but if the flashing is damaged or poorly laid, you’ll have a serious water problem on your hands.
We’ll Repair Your Leak & Protect Your System From Future Damage!
If you’ve recently discovered a chimney leak, don’t wait to call Chimney Concepts! We’re experts at pinpointing leak sources, repairing damage, and preventing future water problems down the line! Whether your leak is caused by a missing chimney cap, damaged masonry, a deteriorating crown or chase cover, or faulty flashing, we have the skills and experience to take care of it!