We’re Your Local Chimney Flashing Repair Experts!
When we’re called upon to troubleshoot a chimney leak, one of the first areas we check is the chimney flashing. The flashing is the metal defense system that covers the roof and chimney at their point of meeting, and is a common leak culprit.
Common Reasons For Flashing Leaks
There are ways for flashing to develop leaks, but here are the most common reasons we see problems:
- Poor installation – Poor installation is a leading cause of flashing leaks. Flashing installation actually involves carefully and strategically layering metal sheets to create a water-tight seal. If improper materials or techniques are used, your flashing won’t last.
- New Roof – Many homeowners don’t realize it, but flashing gets tampered with when a new roof is being installed. If you’ve recently had your roof redone, be sure to have your flashing checked by a professional.
- Animal Tampering/Strong Winds – Flashing can sometimes be lifted or dented by animals and strong winds, which can leave gaps and areas for water to pool and access the home. Scheduling regular inspections can help keep you abreast of any lifting or denting in your flashing before it becomes a serious problem.
- House Settling – When your house settles, the chimney and roof can shift and cause the flashing to slightly separate, especially at the seams. If this happens, water will gradually begin to make its way into your chimney and home.
- Water Damage – If your flashing has too many nail holes, or was poorly placed or tampered with, water damage will be accelerated. We’ve seen nail holes rust through and puddles and pooling lead to quick deterioration!
Because this area is so vulnerable to water penetration, it’s imperative that it be properly installed and professionally maintained.
Is Your Flashing Still Getting The Job Done?
Do you know what kind of condition your flashing is in? Don’t leave the longevity and safety of your chimney system to chance – schedule an annual inspection with a professional chimney sweep! Our technicians are expertly trained and can evaluate your system from top to bottom. We’ll take a look at your flashing and let you know whether it’s working like a charm or could use some repair work. We can also waterproof your chimney for added protection! For more information or to schedule your appointment, give us a call at 262-377-5811 or click here!